Monday, January 2, 2012

Cranberry White Chocolate Cupcakes: I Made it Myself!


That really pretty looking cupcake swirl? The Wilton M1 tip. That's how you do that. I learned that on Pinterest. Then I ran to Michael's, walked in the door, and bolted towards the cake decorating section while repeating "M1tipM1tipM1tipM1tipM1tipM1tipM1tipM1tipM1tip" frenziedly. That wasn't in my head. I received stares. I didn't care, I was on a mission. This is serious, people. This is about pretty cupcakes.



What better to make pretty than my own recipe? That's right. My own recipe!



Well, sort of. I made these in November right after Starbucks had decided that's when Christmas should be (you know, before we even get to Thanksgiving) and that's when they had their cranberry bliss bars. It had been a few years since I'd had one and I was remembering how yummy they were...sooooo yummy...and I was like, hey! I'm an accomplished cupcake maker now! I can make my own! In cupcake form!




So! Here's what I did (hooray! I'm posting a bit of a recipe). To a golden vanilla cupcake recipe, I added (this is why I say "sort of" my own recipe):

1/3 C vegan white chocolate chips
1/3 C cranberries
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp orange zest

Then! I made a vegan cream cheese frosting and added some cranberries, until I got bored. Or, until I thought there was enough. Whichever came first. Voila! I had made a cupcake that was strangely reminiscent of those cranberry bliss bars I was craving. Oh my these were tasty. However, I ran into a bit of a problem, as you might imagine (I seem to be in a bit of denial here about still being somewhat crap at baking). All of the white chocolate chips that I had added and mixed in sank to the bottom. So, the wrapper was really hard to peel off and all of the white chocolate chips were stuck to it. I didn't take pictures of that part, but this will give you an idea of what it looked like:



Luckily, these cupcakes were a test as part of a devious plan for the holiday season. So I did make them again and this time, instead of mixing the white chocolate chips in, I sprinkled them on top.Worked much better. You can even see one in these pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment